Luikse Wafels

Some people already know it: I just LOVE waffles!

But with waffels I don’t mean any kind of waffle, they must be ‘Luikse wafels’, which are also known as ‘suikerwafels’. In English known as ‘Liège waffels’ or in German as ‘Lütticher Waffeln’.

Lately I spent 10 days in Leuven (Belgium) and had a warm waffle almost every day in a waffle shop in the Leopold Vanderkelenstraat (at the corner of the Bondgenotenlaan). Now that I’m back, I of course can’t just stop with it. I searched for a good recipe and I didn’t give up until I found one. I immediately started preparing some and they where so delicious that I decided that everybody should know how to make them. Here is the recipe:

Luikse Wafels

Luikse Wafels made in GermanyIngredients for 18 waffles: 750 g flour, 270 mL lukewarm milk, 70 g yeast, 3 eggs and 2 egg yolks, a pinch of salt, 1/2 package (4 g) vanilla sugar, 400 g soft butter or margarine, 500 g coarse sugar (in Dutch: parelsuiker, in German: Hagelzucker).

Mix a dough from all the ingredients, except for the butter and the coarse sugar. Let it stand for 30 minutes. Add the butter and knead everything carefully until the dough has a smooth, even consistency. Now add the coarse sugar and knead the dough again. Make portions of 100 g and let them stand for another 15 minutes. Preheat the waffle iron (Belgium waffle iron for square waffles) and bake each dough portion for about 3 minutes. The waffles are best if eaten warm.

Eet smakelijk! But be warned: one waffle contains 361 kcal and 10,5 g fat.

Update (April, 7th): here’s the list of ingredients:

metric emperial
flour 750 g 3.33 cup
lukewarm milk 270 mL 1.08 cup
wet yeast 70 g 2.50 oz.
eggs 3 3
egg yolks 2 2
salt a pinch a pinch
vanilla sugar 4 g 0.14 oz.
butter 400 g 14.11 oz.
coarse sugar 500 g 1.10 lb.

style="display:inline-block;width:468px;height:60px"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-4394575904867550"
data-ad-slot="6918823983">

Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Posted in Food
8 comments on “Luikse Wafels
  1. Connie says:

We just returned from a trip to Belgium and I also fell in love with these wafels. I brought back a box of the sugar and hoped I could find a recipe. This was my lucky day. I just have to figure out the measurements and find where I can find the yeast. Can you help me out with this?
    thanks,
    connie

2. Doro says:

Hey Connie!
    The measurements are given in gram (g) and milliliter (mL), respectively. A package of vanilla sugar contains 8 g, thus you need to use 4 g vanilla sugar (I also edited this in the original post now). Yeast is available in a normal supermarket, mostly sold in packages of 42 g and to be found in the refrigerated counter.
    I’m afraid that’s all I can help you for now, as you didn’t let me know which measurements you need. If you need more help with the recipe, you can either write another comment and I’ll try to help you or you search with Google for “gram in …” or “milliliter in …” (‘…’ being the measurement you need).
    Enjoy your wafels!
    Doro

3. Tom says:

I found some nice conversion charts on FoodGeeks.com and converted the recipe (and edited the post above). I have no idea if you usually express vanilla sugar in oz. or would rather use tbsp. in that case, but the other site will help you in that case. Enjoy!

4. Connie says:

I want to thank both of you for your help. I received my waffel iron in the mail and made the traditional Brussels waffel this morning. I used a recipe for a crispy waffel. You make the batter the day before and let it set on the counter overnight. It was wonderful. I plan on making the Luikse wafel this week for some friends. I found Belgium sugar on Amazon.com that is going to work just perfect.
    thanks again,
    Connie

5. Barb says:

Hi, we visited Belgium a week ago and tried ‘real’ Belgian Waffles. I’m now on a quest to find the recipe. Thanks for sharing your recipe, my family will surely go crazy once I make these at home. :)

6. Ryan says:

Hi, I have a question about your recipe. It calls for yeast, but there is no rise (30 minutes isn’t enough time for the yeast to actually rise the dough). I assume that wet yeast is the putty like yeast cakes commonly used in Europe. I would substitute my sourdough starter yeast but that yeast probably acts even more slowly than the commercial yeast cakes. I know that the waffles are really dense and probably shouldn’t rise, so maybe the yeast is there to add a slight yeasty flavor?

7. Tom says:

Hey Ryan,

The waffles are indeed rather dense (contrary to Brussels waffles, which should be very fluffy) and the amount of yeast used here does not make it rise a lot indeed. It might be that it gets added for its flavor, as you said. But I’m not sure about this.

The yeast we’re using is “fresh yeast” (sometimes also called “wet yeast”, “compressed yeast” or “cake yeast”). It’s a block of easily crumbling gray-beige substance and doesn’t preserve well (max. 2 weeks if refrigerated). Here’s an image: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e9/Compressed_fresh_yeast_-_1.jpg/250px-Compressed_fresh_yeast_-_1.jpg

Here’s a description of the different kinds of yeast available: http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Yeast-the-Basics/Detail.aspx

Even more kinds are listed on Wikipedia’s baker’s yeast article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker%27s_yeast

There seems to be such a massive amount of different kinds of yeast available. I don’t know about the properties of instant or active dry yeast well enough to be able to convert the timings and amount to be used for this recipe for them.

I hope this information helps you at least a bit…

8. meme says:

Luikse wafels are the best waffles ever. Beats Eggo hands down (if not any waffle IMHO). Thanks for the recipe, as we just got a waffle iron and I have been looking for recipes, particularly belgian waffles. When they are warm and fresh, they just melt in your mouth like nothing else. Now I’ll also have to get some Nutella as well. I still need to find the pearl sugar but it seems that you can get this in IKEA – have to check if they have this in the Canadian Ikea which is not as nearly well stocked (or well priced) as the US ones.

Thanks again!